Tuesday, January 19, 2010

An Open Letter to the Democratic Party

Dear Democratic Members of Congress -

I have never before felt so betrayed by my government. You, the elected members of the Democratic Party have completely betrayed me, my children, and every other voter who fought for your right to represent us in 2008. I have a child with a disability that no health insurance will touch. So we plan for his adult support knowing that if the system remains as is, he will be forced to live in poverty just to qualify for basic care. I had such high hopes that his future wouldn't have to be that way. I thought we finally had a government that really and truly cared about its people. I thought we finally had a government that wanted to do something about the 40,000 people who die every year needlessly because insurance companies won't cover them. It is so heartbreaking to realize I was wrong.

You have the majority. Tonight you have one seat less, but you still have the majority in both houses. Instead of assuring us that you will continue to work on reform, you back away from the fight? There is not one single reason beyond your own ineptitude that we shouldn't have reform by now. It was, and still is, what the American people want. It is why we elected you. So what have you done? You have allowed a minority party, whose stated purpose is to stop anything and everything you propose, to do just that. You have allowed a minority party, that spent the last eight years trashing this country, to bring the halls of Congress to a standstill. You have allowed a minority party that cares only about defeating the President who WE voted for, to stand in the way of any progress on an agenda that the majority of Americans support.

WHY? You do not have to allow this. You are the majority, and you still represent the majority of Americans who still want change. You have the power to set set the rules - and to change them when they are so badly abused. But you don't. WHY? Where is your courage? Where is your conviction? Where is your moral spine?

I truly fear for the future of our country. We have a two-party system, with one party who doesn't want to govern, and one who can't govern. Where does that leave the rest of us?

You have ten months to prove to us that you are not the gutless, spineless whelps we see today. You have ten months to DO what we want you to do. Are you going to stand up, or are you going to lay down? How I hope and pray you stand, but if the last several months are any indication, I fear it won't be the case. I can't tell you how sad that makes me, especially when I look into the eyes of my sweet boy.

No comments: