Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bad Mom Award

Here it is, my bad mom moment for the week.  Nick was on the verge of tears and I pushed him right on over the edge in to full on cry.  By laughing. Out loud.  In front of him.

We were getting ready for school, and while he was supposed to be eating breakfast I was getting my clothes, when he came in on the verge of tears to tell me that there was something in his ear and he couldn't get it out.  I made quick a glance and saw nothing.  I told him I didn't see anything.  He was insistent, and said it really hurt.  I still didn't see anything, when he confessed "It's a carrot!"  I pulled his lobe a bit and looked closer and sure enough, there was a broken off piece of carrot lodged in the canal.  And I burst out in a fit of giggles.  I'm sorry, I know that's not very supportive of me, but . .   a carrot?  He's TEN!   Shouldn't he have outgrown the compulsion to stick food into orifices other than the mouth by now?  I guess the memory of the goldfish cracker when he was four has faded.  I tried to suppress the giggles while I asked him "Can you please explain to me the thought process that lead to this decision?" but that just made him cry more, so I stopped giggling, apologized, and gave him a big hug.  I got a toothpick and promised him that I would only try once, and then take it to the doctor if  I couldn't get it out.  Fortunately, it came out without much effort, and he even managed to laugh at the whole situation.

That was yesterday.  Wonder what they have in store for me today?

No comments: