Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Neighborhood

"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor,
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
It's a neighborly day in this beautywood, a neighborly day for a beauty
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day. Since we're together we might as well say
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please? Won't you please? Please, won't you be my neighbor?"

I love my neighborhood.  I have such wonderful neighbors, many of whom are dear friends.  My next door neighbors have been such a source of inspiration and support and comfort.  They surprised us by decorating our house after the birth of each of our boys. When we found out Gabe would have Down Syndrome, they were right there with love and encouragement. Whenever Gabe was in the hospital, they were there to help care for Nicholas.  When Gabe had his open heart surgery, I sobbed on their shoulders.  For Nick, who has always struggled to make friends, their two youngest kids have been his best friends from day one, and even though they are both in high school now, Nick still considers them his best friends, and they have loved all my boys unconditionally always.  When they moved away, our hearts were broken (especially the boys) and when they came back, we were so happy!  We love them like family, because they are a very important part of ours.

Over the years, as we have come to know new neighbors all along our street and down neighboring streets, our circle of friends has grown.  It's the kind of neighborhood where there will always be someone there for last minute needs.  We boo each other at Halloween and Elf each other at Christmas. The boys and I have already started putting together the baskets for when Elfing starts! I love living here, among these amazing and loving people.  It's the best place to have a family and a home.

No comments: