Friday, November 2, 2012

Nicholas, My Pickle-ous

I am so thankful for my Pickle, Nicholas.  I can't believe he is already twelve years old!  Where did all those years go? I love that, at this pre-teen phase, when so many kids are no longer wanting to hold a parent's hand or express affection, that my sweet boy is still full of hugs and kisses.  He still holds my hand as we walk, or when I drive, and he hugs and kisses all of us constantly.

I especially love the way he engages with his brothers.  I was afraid that the five year gap between him and Elijah would mean limited commonalities.  But Nick loves to play with them.  He wrestles with them and plays Legos with them.  When asked, he reads them stories, and he does it with flair, leaving the Gabe and EJ  cracking up, no matter what the story.

I love his creative mind.  He is constantly creating stories, some he turns into comic books, others he just tells you as he makes it up on the fly.  He has such an active mind and I look forward to seeing where that takes him as he grows into adulthood.

One of the things I really admire about him is that he has remained a social boy who wants to engage people .  Socially, he struggles, and has had to deal with rejection and bullying, but instead of letting that turn him into an introvert, he continues to put himself out there.  He talks to complete strangers when we are on an elevator, or crowds we are with when standing in line.  He will engage in play with kids he has just met in a park or a store or anywhere.  I love that about him.

I love that he is learning how to conquer his fears.  Two years ago, he was terrified to get on a stage.  He now has a speaking role in a play.  He is afraid of heights, but he just went on Splash Mountain for the first time and loved it. Still working up to the roller coaster, but he will get there.

Nicholas is such a gift, to me, and to his brothers.  I am so grateful I got to be his mom.  Love you Pickle, to the end of the universe!

No comments: